Thread: 2014 MLB Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2014, 05:20 PM   #440
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
OK, You yourself said the lineup finished 7th in runs scored last year which is a minor miracle when you consider it was Trout and a log of guys sucking badly. Is he sitting a silver slugger catcher that I've missed or is he playing the best catcher on the team? I liked Ianneta as a Rockie, but he's not exactly a bomber. As for the pitching, he's throwing out the best arms he has to work with.

If Pujos and Hamilton were joining Trout in making the team a murderers row and they still weren't winning, I'd throw blame at the manager. The reality is the team isn't very good. If Hamilton and Pujos don't start hitting, that isn't going to change. I don't care who the manager is.

The lineup had talent last year, just like it does this year. Even with Pujols missing much of the season and Hamilton slumping, they still had a what by any other hitter's standards would be a decent power hitting Hamilton, the aforementioned Trout, Trumbo, and Kendrick with a strong year, and JB Shuck having what I believe will turn out to be a career year. Bourjos and Calhoun saw time as well and played solidly when up/not hurt. The lineup underachiveed next to its talent, but it was still a strong lineup and that's why it did well. Scioscia did not mastermind some decent offense out of mish mash of crappy parts.

You have to remember I am not just talking about 2013. Warhammer brings up the specific catcher problem, going back to Napoli-Mathis. The front office finally had to fix the Scioscia defensive catcher playing time problem by releasing Mathis and signing Iannetta, insuring Scioscia only had offensive options there, along with Conger.

He has some talented arms on the staff--and they have generally underperformed for him. Veteran pitchers rarely exceed their past performances and usually underachieve, and young pitchers when he has them don't develop into anything but inconsistent players. Look at Jordan Walden--he was lost under Scioscia's management and he has become a bulwark of Atlanta's pen. Fernando Rodney, while not exactly a rock of production with the Tigers, was solid there, came to the Angels and was abysmal, and then left for Tampa Bay and became a star closer the following season. Scioscia's handling of his pitchers in game has been pretty bad going back for some time now.

This team had 90+ win talent last season and was the pick by just about everyone to win the AL West, and if not do so, at least a cinch to get to the playoffs. Instead, they were under .500. They have had a payroll in the top 5 for 7-8 years now, but they haven't been to the postseason since 2009. That was under three different GMs. At some point, you have to look at the manager, too.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote