View Single Post
Old 11-16-2003, 06:48 PM   #35
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Exhibition Games

Arizona 28, Dallas 21

This wasn't as great a game as you might think. It appears our starters were in against their reserves, allowing us to use three late touchdowns to comeback for the win.

Blake was surprisingly accurate, even on short passes, so he might be able to handle a shorter passing game after all. He also didn't throw any INT. Smith and Shipp both did well, particularly Shipp in a reserve role (7 car, 93 yd).

Boldin really stood out in receiving (5 rec, 118 yd, 2 td). The line allowed just two sacks and got good push int he running game.

The defense wasn't too great at stopping the Cowboys, although they did get three sacks and intercepted two passes.

No injuries were reported.

San Diego 13, Arizona 10 (OT)

They play overtime in the preseason?!?

Blake was still accurate and didn't throw any INT again. The offense's problem was the running game, which averaged a measly 2.1 ypc. Shipp got the start and played awful.

Blake should good ability going to different receivers, with 6 to Boldin, 5 to Jones (getting a leg up for the starting tight end job), 4 to Johnson (rebound from poor first preseason game), and 4 to FB Hodgins, who is proving to be a decent option in the offense.

The line had three sacks, but all came from Wells, getting a shot at T. That isn't going to help his shot at a starting spot there.

The defense was solid, if not spectacular. A 46-yard run by Chatman made the run defense look worse than it was, which was fairly solid. The long passing game was ineffective for the Chargers, and we had 2 sacks, 2 INT and forced a fumble.

We did get some bad news with injuries. Johnson will be hobbled by knee tendinitis for the rest of the preseason, and we have some other small one-week injuries. But the big one was top corner Duane Starks, who strained an elbow and will be out for the first month of the regular season.

Arizona 24, Chicago 14

Do I play any legit teams this preseason? How am I supposed to know how bad this team is when I play guys like Dallas, Chicago and San Diego?

I have been having problems with the depth charts, trying to get some good preseason time for players, so I actually started backups at many spots in this one. I also play-called the game (went in and had the coach call all the plays--I just raced through), instead of simming it. There seemed to be some effect, but I have no idea what I did exactly that changed things.

McCown got the start under center, but he did poorly and only threw five passes. Parsons took over and played very well. He was accuarte, didn't throw any interceptions and threw for two scores. He even got the game MVP. In my mind, that likely clinches him as the #2 passer. Blake also played a little and went 6-for-6.

Shipp had another bad game, but got the most carries, despite being listed third on the depth chart. Anderson got the start and did well, and Smith broke an 83-yard run to have a very good day.

I sat the limping Johnson and started McAddley, and he had a solid day. Gilmore and Bush also caught some passes, and Boldin caught his usual 5.

The line was hit and miss. The running game was solid, and we had several key run blocks. But we allowed five sacks, and Hodges allowed two in reserve guard work. Like Wells, that doesn't bode well for him in starting or getting much playing time.

I feel the Bears' offense stunk more than our defense did good. We didn't get any sacks ro force any turnovers, and they still rushed at a good clip. But they got less than 300 yards, because of what I think was a very conservative passing offense that just didn't work.

I had a lot of muscle strains and pulls in this one, it seems. Projected tackler starter Shelton strained a calf muscle and will probably miss the next two weeks (inluding the season opener). Young DT Bryant hyperextended his elbow and will also be out about two weeks. Reserve receiver Kevin Kaspar has a strained triceps, and will be questionable for three weeks.

Minnesota 17, Arizona 17

Now, things have moved into the sublime. Not only did we play the overtime, we ended it in a tie (which is prbably what it should have done at the end of regulation...oh well).

Recommend on playing time doesn't seem to work, but at least I am getting some variation in my depth chart now. Of course, this is the final preseason game, so who cares?

McCown got the start again and this time played much better, going 11-for16 with a touchdown and no INT. Parsons came in and did almost as good, though (19-for-27, no INT). McCown did get the score, and generally threw for further per completion. Is it enough to put him back in the miux for the #2 spot? I don't know.

Scobey had a pedestrian game in his shot at starting, but he was steady. Anderson didn't fare much better behind him. So I'm going to have to take a closer look at the numbers to see if I will cut any of my two reserve running backs. Shipp did well in limited work and scored a touchdown, which was nice to see with his poor performances in Games 2 & 3.

Poole and Gilmore combined for 13 catches and a score, so this will only make my decision at the overloaded wide-receiver spot that much harder. Banks and Hodel each had two catches, so the third tight end spot is still far from settled.

For the second straight game, the line showed some good skills, with plenty of key runblocks and only two sacks allowed (by Hodges and Sanderson).

The defense had four sacks, including two by Vanden Bosch in a passing down role. They forced two turnovers and limited the Vikings to just 78 yards rushing.

My preseason opponents may have taken it easy on me, but the injury Gods didn't. Ouch.

I had several big injuries, but the biggest is just huge. Hodgins suffered a broken foot and will be out nine weeks. In fact, I will have to decide whether to keep him on the roster and not put him on IR, because that's a long time to hold a spot for a guy.

Hodges, one of the two guards I signed for depth and possible starting spots, suffered a back injury and had to undergo surgery. He will be out for all of 2003. Continuing the bad luck on the line, reserve tackle and potential starter Wells dislocated his elbow, and will also miss nine weeks.

Most of the other injuries are minor, although Starks remains out for at least the first six weeks of the season. Kendall suffered a minor injury, but he is considered probable. Some key 9injuries last week, like Shelton and Bryant, have upgraded to probable and will play in Week One.

The injuries, of course, only muddy an already difficult situation of getting down to 46. I will have to make some tough decisions, and see if I can get a good full back off the waiver wire.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote