Thread: Severe Weather
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2014, 10:08 AM   #594
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I have to be out pretty much no matter how bad it gets, for now anyways. I think they're legal like nov-mar. I'm just curious if they're like zomg better than normal snow tires or not. I go all up in northern Pennsylbama

Dunno if anyone else is noticing but these PA roads are going to probably be garbage this summer. Worse than normal. Plows hacking them all to hell. And then everything is all wavy and shit from freezing and unfreezing. Seems worse than normal even.

They are better, but I would say the jump from all seasons to winter tires is bigger than the jump from winter to studded. I think it would only be worth it if you were driving in areas that tend to ice over a lot or have lots of hard packed snow. If you're going to encounter a lot of warm days or bare roads it's probably not worth it. Also studded tires on pavement are loud, it's kinda like having bees chasing after you.

The best winter tires right now are the Michelin x-ice xi3. If you're going to go studded look for the nokian hakkapeliita (sp?) 7.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote