View Single Post
Old 01-29-2014, 08:38 AM   #2
Blackadar
Retired

Former Detroit Lions RB Jahvid Best suing NFL, helmet maker - ESPN

Jahvid Best suing the NFL and Riddell for money in case he has long-term concussion damage.

I don't think he'll have much of a case, especially against the NFL. He had two concussions prior to entering the NFL and he won't be able to prove that any potential long-term damage wasn't done prior to his entry into the NFL. His claim that the NFL "allowed" him to get drafted will fall flat because he declared and had the NFL not allowed him to participate, he could have sued them for that.

His suit against Riddell is going to be a little trickier but again I don't see it succeeding. He'd have to prove that he only used Riddell products during his entire football career and that the helmets were faulty because they didn't prevent concussions in football. Considering that's an unobtainable bar to achieve, I don't think that goes anywhere either.

It appears he got paid about $6m from 2010 to 2012. I don't have much sympathy - you shouldn't need any more money for long-term care. Here's hoping this shit gets tossed out.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote