Thread: Severe Weather
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2014, 08:19 AM   #570
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
We have power. About 1/4 inch of ice on trees outside. Looks like whatever snow we're going to get will be starting soon. About 8,000 with no power in our area, and all of the major bridges in the Charleston area are closed.

Some friends of ours are 34 weeks pregnant and experienced some complications last night. With the bridge closings, you can't get from our subdivision to the hospital of choice for most people in our area, so they had to go to an unfamiliar one with unfamiliar doctors.

The stories I've read from some of my friends in the Atlanta area are mind-boggling. It took one friend of ours 14 hours to get home. She walked the last five miles.

I don't know if this is accurate, but based on the stories of when businesses and schools shut 'er down yesterday in the A-T-L, this at least looks about right:

If you think about that- look at how quickly things deteriorate: it's basically one hour from 12:14 to 1:15 where roads go from completely clear to utter chaos. While I see a lot of calls for heads to roll, how do you deal with something that hits that quickly and that ferociously when there was a chance it would be bad but also a significant chance that it wouldn't.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 01-29-2014 at 08:20 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote