Thread: Severe Weather
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2014, 10:08 PM   #555
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Man, I'd love to have a towtruck down there right now. You could make bank. Although would you get stuck in traffic?

Yeah, they ain't getting around very well. Pretty much no one is at this point.

Cherokee Co authorities have acknowledged that there are several hundred people stranded in their cars all over the county & that they simply can't get to them, so many accidents they literally don't even have a count. Every fire station in the county (21 of them) are open to anyone stranded needing shelter, 4 large facilities (like college auditoriums) have opened to take in as many as can get there.

When you see a veteran firefighter* close his statement this way, you know they're worried: Those that are seeing all this, saying a few prayers for those still out there would be greatly appreciated.

Temps expected to hit 15 degrees tonight.

And back in Fulton County, they've finally given up & taken students BACK to at least one high school to shelter in place. That it happens to include the teenage son (and his camera) of the #2 station's anchorman might make that a bigger story than usual.

edit to add: * my comment about the "veteran firefighter" came from knowing that spokesman for as long as I can remember. He's a 2nd generation public safety guy who grew up with it -- his dad was a long-serving chief -- when he sounds worried, I get worried.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-28-2014 at 10:13 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote