Thread: Severe Weather
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2014, 06:32 PM   #535
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
This sounds like horrible planning on the part of the schools. Didn't they see this coming?

Some places yes, some places not nearly so much so. Northern suburbs (like Cherokee, Bartow, etc) were told all week that they'd get little to nothing from this. It was expected to hit basically south of Atlanta for a change.

Instead, the north got pounded pretty good (4 inches snow + ice still coming down) about an hour north of Atlanta where I grew up. Meanwhile those who were expecting to get hit ended up with at/less than the 2" predictions and a couple hours later than expected.

edit: the gripe for some of those who got surprised is/will be that it took far too long to react to the changing conditions, this was a steady build all morning starting before 10a. Waiting until 12p-1p to start loading buses, some of which had to do a route and then return/reload for a second route was very bad decision making (and as Fulton Co showed, albeit with its own set of issues, you can turn the decision VERY quickly even in a VERY large system)

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-28-2014 at 06:38 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote