View Single Post
Old 11-14-2003, 11:23 PM   #11
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Funny...I am still looking around and finding new things to look at. Things I forgot about it like franchise value and things like that.

So here's a rundown of some of the facts about the Cardinals and their locale.

"Arizona"

The actual home listed for this team is Arizona--the whole state. This likely helps me a bit with respect to what population levels I am drawing from. Here are some of the charateristics of Arizona:

POPULATION: 2,840,000 (14th overall)
REGION: Southwest (2nd highest growing region)
TEAMS WITHIN 500 mi: 1

Note: There are also categories for 100 and 250 mi, but of course, I am in the middle of nowhere, at least with respect to other NFL teams. The Chargers in San Diego are the only team within 500 miles, at 299. The next closest, Denver, is 596 miles away.

GROWTH: 3.8% (4th overall)
AVG INCOME: $27,800 (about average across the country)
POVERTY RATE: 16.5% (also about average)

ENTERTAINMENT COMPETITION: 74th percentile (15th overall)
TREND-SETTING CITY: 50th percentile (I guess we're average)

WEATHER: No surprise, but it's hot. And then some. We have 164 90+-degree days per year. Wow. It's also pretty dry most of the year.

OVERALL: I have to like what I am seeing. We have little competition from other teams nearby, we are a growing area with an already sizable population base, and we don't have any big bugaboos like a high poverty rate or low income level. Still, we have a high entertainment competition level, so we need to win to compete with our fanbase's other interests.

Interesting sidenote: I am, of course, a big homer for Anaheim, since I live here and all, and currently Anaheim ranks as the highest "Wants Franchise" city. That is very interesting. The rumors of franchises moving to the LA area is very much out there int he real world, and FOF 2004 allows for team movement. Something for the future? Who Knows? Right now, I am committed to Arizona.

Stadium

This is really cool. This is why we buy games like FOF 2004.

Just like in real life, the local government (and no doubt this team itself) are building a stadium for us in the game. It is expected to be ready in 2006. We are the only such team in this situation. I think that is pretty frickin' neat.

For right now, though, we are suffering in a substandard stadium. Here are the details.

CAPACITY: 73,200
OPENED: 1958
STADIUM TYPE: Outdoor/Grass
STADIUM CONDITION: Average
TURF CONDITION: Fair
PARKING LOT CONDITION: Poor

We are also the cheapest show in the NFL. At $161 for the average four-person family, including parking and concessions, we cost the least of all 32 teams. The Jags are next up at $163, and if you're curious, the Jets' levels are an amazing $526. Sheesh.

Franchise Value

I forgot how much I enjoyed this page in past FOF games. I am glad to see Jim has kept this. Here is where the team stands in the key categories.

STADIUM: 34 (Fair)-- 21st in NFL

Note: Kinda frightening that there are 11 worse stadiums in the league, and we're the only ones with a new one on the way.

ROSTER: 18 (Poor)--31st in NFL

Note: You expect different? Cleveland was listed as the only team that is worse (surprised me a little, actually).

FAN SUPPORT: 46 (Good)--32nd in NFL

Note: We aren't just in last. We are way the fark back in last. The next lowest team is the Chargers--at 69! I think the fact our fan support is listed as "Good" is the biggest joke yet. Looks like I am going to have to make these people believe.

ECONOMY: 43 (Good)--16th in NFL

FRANCHISE VALUE: $318,750,000 (29th in NFL)

If it weren't for the uber-poor stadium situations of San Diego, New Orleans and Jacksonville, I would be a shoo-in for last. But stadiums work heavily into it, so I was able to have a higher franchise value than those teams. The highest is the Patriots, at $550,500,000.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote