View Single Post
Old 09-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #207
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Might come as a shock, but people don't work for free for your personal enjoyment. They should be compensated (even if it's a small amount) for their likeness being used which obviously adds to the game. Just as anyone should be compensated for their likeness being used in a game, movie, TV, ad, or whatever.

As for who gets the money, that'll be up to negotiations. My guess is most college athletes would sign on to a licensing group that would decide how the money is doled out in advance. Maybe it's $200 per player, maybe it's dependent on other factors. And of course players like Johnny Manziel can negotiate his own deal if he feels like it.

This isn't some new territory. Professional sports have done this in licensing for decades. The NCAA can do the same thing, there is enough money at play. Still don't know why people are so jealous of these kids earning their market value.

Might come as a shock to you, but these kids do get paid. 4 years, sometimes 5 of a free college education. As someone who worked my way through college on a graveyard shift and student loans, I kind of have an idea of what that is worth.

There are VERY few kids whose merchandise earns the kind of scratch the NFL guys do. I have been a proponent of the kids getting some sort of small stipend. The NFL has 32 teams to license at 53 players each. There are 120 teamsof 80 players each in the NCAA.

Go take a vote of the current crop of college football players and ask them if they would rather have an NCAA game they will be in for eternity or no game and I can tell you from personal exp, a majority would rather have the game.

These guys all fail to realize that only a few of them win with these lawsuits, the majority see no benefit or could even be hurt by this. Ex: what if the ncaa decided partial scholarships in basketball and football to pay for this?
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote