View Single Post
Old 09-27-2013, 09:18 AM   #175
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Fixed.

Licenses are king with the under 30 crowd. They'll buy a half-ass game with team names and players over a good generic game. But if there's no licensed game, those people could be persuaded if there's a mod engine that allows them to get those things into their game.

Now, I haven't seen anything in the ruling related to modding by the community. As long as modding is allowed, I see a one year hiatus (no way to start a new game now) followed by a game in summer of 2015.

Some of the comments regarding development cost are also very short-sighted. There's going to be a change in the near future where athletes get paid at some level. One of the concessions in that will have to be that likenesses can be used. It's worth it right now for a game developer to become the only guy on the block for a year or two with generic rosters/leagues knowing that when that tide turns, they'll be in position to take advantage of it.

EA is too lazy to create a generic game. Their management has always been short sighted in this regard and this decision to can the game even though it's not court-ordered is no different. They know that licenses sell games even if the gameplay is average at best. They're known for cutting corners and re-skinning games just to keep the cash cow running. They don't have a clue that a well produced game will sell just as well.

And I don't want to hear comparisons to All-Pro Football either. That was a disaster from the start. Pushing all those legends in the game rather than just producing a good generic football game was just as stupid as EA's decision to rely on licensing rather than good gameplay.

The problem with a generic game is that I don't think they will allow it to be customizable enough so that people could recreate the Div 1. I would imagine that if they make it too easy (like have team builder, imported graphics, etc) they would be accepting a big risk. I would think that the most they would allow would be allowing a few created players, some generic team names and maybe the ability to customize the team type (spread, power running, etc.). If they really open it up I would think they're opening themselves up to more legal action.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote