View Single Post
Old 11-11-2003, 08:29 PM   #1
Airhog
Captain Obvious

The Mighty Eighth B-17 Interactive Dynasty

I have been contemplating doing an interactive dynasty for some time. I have always enjoyed flying in this game, but the squadron commander is just not in depth enough for me. Part of this reason is a lack of interaction with the success of the bombing campaign and the campaign mode. So i think that I can use the interaction between forum members and myself to help create a more realistic environment.

My role in this game will be the part of squadron commander. I will narrate the current situation and provide the information needed for the plane commanders to make their decisions. I will fly the missions etc. I will also compute the points, more on this feature later.

Your role in this game will be the part of Flight Crew leader. You will make all decisions regarding your plane pre-flight and post-flight. However since this game is real time you will not be able to make any decisions in flight. I will mainly use the AI to control the planes most of the time. There are some problems with doing it this way, but I cannot control all 6 planes all the time. The AI usually does a decent job, but if your plane gets shot up and loses 2 of your engines you will probably not make it back. I wish that I could change this in some way, but it would be unfair for me to manually fly one plane back, and let the others go down.

There will be some key decisions that you will make. You will volunteer for missions, decide which parts to fix, etc.

Now this is all standard stuff so far, but I have one other twist. I have decided to also make this a sort of competition in an indirect sense. I will award points to each plane based on several stats likes enemy planes shot down, crewmembers killed, etc. It will be a players job to try and amass the most points possible. Of course alot of it is upto the AI, but the players will be able to take on missions, and some missions will be worth more, of course they will also be alot harder to complete. I havent finalized the points system yet, but will finish it before we start.

B-17 2 allows for 12 planes to be kept. So the first 12 people to sign up will be picked, all the rest will go on a waiting list. I dont think you will have to wait long though.
I can do custom names to begin with, but i can only change the original 12 planes, I cant change them after they begin. Players will be able to name their plane, however the crews will be random. Each mission will have a maximum of 6 planes. However missions that involve less planes are possible, even missions with just one plane.

We will start out in december 1943. Which division and group will be left up to the users, this really doesnt have much bearing except for where are airfield is located.

401st division Includes the 612th thru the 615th group. 306th Division includes the 367th to 369th and the 423rd. 381st division includes the 532nd to the 535th group. and the 92nd division includes the 325th to 327th and the 407th group. When you signup please include your division and group preference if any.Otherwise I will simply select one for us. Once I have enough volunteers we will begin. I will post the points shortly.

Also provide me with the name of your plane.

Difficulty 1x-3x Modifier

Completion of mission 5 Points

Succes of bombing

Miss 0 points
Low damage 1 point
Medium damage 2 points
High damage 3 points
Destroyed 4 points

Special Missions 10 points max

Killed crewmen -3 points each

Enemy Aircraft killed 2 points each

Let me know if there are any you can think of before we start

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!

Last edited by Airhog : 11-12-2003 at 02:26 AM.
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote