View Single Post
Old 07-19-2013, 02:03 PM   #303
Suicane75
Coordinator

1975 Off Season

Mike Caldwell gets $106K in arbitration, not the type of money I'd like to pay my middle relievers.

Mike Pazik gets $45K in arbitration, not the type of money I'd like to pay a long reliever.

Fred Klages wants about $290K per year to resign. I don't think so. It's been fun Fred, find another team.

Julian Javier is in the last year of his deal and wants a raise, heh. I'm not gonna give it to him but I fully intend to resign him after the season. I just don't see the sense in making a deal above his value when he could very well want less after the season.

Lou Piniella is in the last year of his deal and he wants a decent amount of money. He's not cracking the starting lineup and we have a couple of minor league outfielders coming up who'll be ready next year so we may move him or let him play it out this year and then walk.

McCovey signs a 3 year deal at $120K per season. It's a steep pay cut but still way more than he's worth, but I'm not letting him finish his career anywhere but here.

McCarver signs a 4 year deal at $130K per season. It's actually a slight pay cut and he's 33 now but he's still productive.

Rod Carew is a big conundrum. I give him a 5 year deal worth $91K per season. I think I may give him the 1B job over Luzinski.

I get Mike Caldwell down to 4 years at $80K per season. Truth is he may be my best bullpen arm and could find himself at the front end of the pen sooner rather than later so I don't mind paying him.

I get Mike Pazik down to 4 years at $40K, it's probably too much to pay him but whatever.

I move RP Rick Henninger and 2 minor pitching prospects to the Giants for $24K. Rookie Jack Kucek is ready to be one of my short men.

I send SS Bucky Dent to the Indians for $5K. We have a number of shortstop prospects that he's behind. Would have liked to have gotten more for him but that's probably based on the name than the actual talent.

So we head into the season with two seasons that ended sooner than I feel like they should have under our belt. We're on a mission.

I really think this is the year Raich and Lafayette can take a big step forward. They've each won the rookie of the year but now they have to prove they can be front line starters because Jenkins is 31 and John is 32, not ancient but they're getting up there and we need Raich and Lafayette to show the ability to be aces, because we've wiped out the minors pretty well.

Our bullpen is top notch, so no worries there.

Our minor league pitching depth and quality is really low. Graig Mitchell at AA is our only true front line prospect so it'll take us a few years to restock down there.

Offensively I've made the decision to go with Rod Carew as my 1B against righties. He'll bat 3rd and Richie Hebner will move to the 5th spot behind Jim Rice. I just think this makes the lineup better even if we lose some power by putting Luzinski on the bench. The Bull will play 1B against lefties.

Our bench is very strong.

We are stocked in the minors with everyday prospects, both in quality and quantity. The problem is finding spots for them, but that's a problem I'd rather have than not have. 2B Bill Almon is probably a year away but I could see him supplanting the 2B job from Javier pretty soon and we have a couple of quality OF prospects at AAA in Jerry Martin & Horace Speed who likely wont crack our lineup but should be quality bench guys.

Financially we're right on the cusp. We're losing less money, but we're still losing money and our coffers are dwindling without the resources to replenish them. I'm trying to bridge the gap between this generation and the next without a rebuild but it's going to be tricky. I have a lot riding on my two young starting pitchers and left fielder Jim Rice. Those 3 guys have got to be cornerstones for the next decade.

Alright then, let's play some ball.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote