View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013, 10:32 PM   #214
Suicane75
Coordinator

1966 Off Season

Yaz gets $90K in arbitration, bleh. Hank Aaron, in the last year of his deal, wants over $200K per season. Ughh. I want both these guys on my team but I can't afford either of them, our cash has been dwindling the past few seasons and increasing salary just isn't something I can do.

As much as I don't want to do it I send Aaron to Minnesota in exchange for 20 year old 1B Rod Carew & 19 year old RP Bill Zepp, both good prospects.

With the money saved I sign Yaz to a 7 year deal at $69K, still way more than I want to spend but I can't lose them both and Aarons price tag was too astronomical.

To help offset the damage I sell RP Pete Mikkelsen, who was brilliant for us last year, to the Giants for $23K. I think I can replace him in the pen. I hope I can.

Both Tommy John & Ray Culp are going to hit arbitration next year, and I've got a plethora of strong starters in AAA ready to go so I sell high on Culp and get $92K from Baltimore for him.

I sell of IF Felix Mantilla, RP Norm Bass and pretty good SP prospect Jerry Janeski to Oakland for $103,000. I'm blown away by that offer quite frankly.

Holy crap, teams will pay for prospects. I never looked at that aspect of the game before. I package 3 pitching prospects, Joe Henderson, Ken Holtzman and Mike Torrez and send them to Kansas City for $196,000K.

All that cash should help us offset attempting to pay Tommy John next year

Converted starter Dennis Musgraves joins the pen and good looking rookie Fred Klages joins the rotation.
Johnny Callison takes over in Right Field and SS Bert Campaneris joins our bench.

I don't want to get too complacent, because any time you replace proven parts with unproven parts things can go very wrong, but I think we're poised to repeat. Let's see, shall we?
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote