View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #122
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Here's one of the things I don't understand about how the situation could play out. Let's say Notre Dame signs a high profile QB, gives him number 3, and he doesn't pan out. #3 is the highest selling ND jersey (i would guess, but pretty sure) given Montana, Mirer, Powlus (despite the "bust" label, set a ton of records there), and Michael Floyd plus other older stars (pre-Montana) I can't seem to recall off hand. If college players get paid for jersey sales, who gets paid when ND sells #3 under this scenario? Unlikely people are buying the jersey of the hypothetical bust QB, right?

Edit: Typically ND doesn't put last names on the back of their football jerseys. I think they currently only do it for bowl games.

My thinking is that it goes to whomever of the school wears that number currently. Remember, even when jerseys are sold in the university bookstores, NCAA rules prohibit names on the back of the jersey.

I suspect the ruling, even it allows college players to be paid for jersey sales, only means that they compensate for the sales as long as they're at the school, wearing that number, and that the lawsuit won't specifically change the rule surrounding the sale of jerseys and names on them.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote