Thread: Severe Weather
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #313
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
If you took away all the spots in the US that were prone to tornadoes, hurricanes, river flooding, forest fires, volcanoes, blizzards, Godzilla attacks, or whatever other natural disaster, well, you wouldn't have anywhere to live. This comment coming from someone who lives smack dab in earthquake country?

SI

Getting hit by a tornado is somewhat similar to winning the lottery. You've got to be pretty lucky to take a hit. The couple of tornadoes that we've seen reported of late are the very rare exception as you well know. Most of us in the Midwest love thunderstorms as long as they don't get too crazy. We also look at all the idiots living on the east coast and the gulf coast and wonder why they would put themselves at a much higher risk of a storm every few years that blows sustained winds of 100+ and rains of 1+ feet.

It all depends on your perspective. I remember when I lived in Baltimore and there was a very small tornado hopping around in Maryland. I was laughing as I saw the news coverage, noting to the people I was with that it was little more than a dust devil. But they were terrified.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote