View Single Post
Old 10-29-2003, 05:11 AM   #73
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

20.14 Fixture: Chock Full of Wholesome Goodness - Houston Hippopotami

Pre-Game Analysis
Under construction: Still more format tinkering

Preview
You know how I said the Brooklyn game on the road would suck and we'd get plastered? Well, this one is going to be just as bad, if not worse. We're PIC'ing on the road against Chock Full of Wholesome Goodness and holding back a couple of starters. In case you forgot our first game, it was the game where we went 4-5-1 and almost pulled off the upset, losing 3-2. There's no way I'm doing that again so this is going to hurt.

Prediction
I'd love to say we'll keep it close, but I'm worried about this one. 5-0, we get shutout on the road.

Gameday Live
Date: 10/20/2003 at 01:00
MatchID: 8327020
Arena: Creamy Nougat Center
Crowd: 60000

Fairly good weather for football had drawn a crowd of 60000 to Creamy Nougat Center. Wholesome tactics involved an interesting 3-5-2 combination. The following players had been chosen: Castaño Párraga - Franks, Gallagher, Weathers - King, Dahlström, Mathis, Stein, Andersson - Jansson, Willis.

Hippopotami had chosen a strategic 3-5-2 formation. The following players had been chosen: Kimber - Cristiano, Schrader, Bush - Starks, Benito, Connors, Little, Wellens - Phelan, Spagnuolo.

One of many good passes from Anders Andersson at the wing was recieved and skillfully taken care of by Anders Jansson, scoring for Wholesome to 1 - 0. The crowd was silenced in the 18:th minute as the visiting teams Gualtiero Spagnuolo came in from the left, levelling the score to 1 - 1. In the 23rd minute the home side managed to get a 2 - 1 lead as Scottie Gallagher flipped the ball after a cross pass from the right. Anders Jansson increased Wholesomes lead to 3 - 1 by putting a header away on a hooked ball from the right. A speedy charge from the left side of the field put Wholesome lead up with 4 - 1. Bud Willis finished that one off competently, firing from an acute angle. Halftime score was 4 - 1. Wholesome held the ball, with a clear 54 percent possession rate.

In the 58:th minute of the match the visitors central line of defence had to look on as Lyndon Franks dashed through, knocking home 5 - 1 for Wholesome. By now Wholesome were drawing the troops back in order to defend their lead. Hippopotami breathed new life into the game with an opportunity to reduce the score in the 68:th minute, but the home side´s defenders cleared the ball on the line, after a long shot coming in from the left, rebounding off the crossbar. In the 70:th minute of the match the visitors central line of defence had to look on as Anders Jansson dashed through, knocking home 6 - 1 for Wholesome. This third goal made a hat trick for Anders Jansson. In the 77:th minute Wholesomes Tom Dahlström received a yellow card for going into a challenge studs first. In the 77:th minute of the match the visitors central line of defence had to look on as Anders Jansson dashed through, knocking home 7 - 1 for Wholesome. Wholesome, bringing the final ball possession rate to 56 percent, dominated the battle.

The most dominating Wholesome player was without a doubt Ramón King. However, Claude Mathis made a disastrous appearance. The most dominating Hippopotami player was without a doubt Carlos Alberto Benito. However, Edwin Phelan made a disastrous appearance. The match ends 7 - 1.

(Lies, Damn Lies, and) Statistics

Stadium
Terraces: 0/20000
Basic seats: 0/8000
Seats under roof: 0/3200
VIP seats: 0/800
Total: 0/32000

Notes: They had a full 60K at the Creamy Nougat Center. Have I mentioned 5 times in the last couple match reports that I love that name?

Team Ratings

Chock Full of Wholesome Goodness
Midfield: passable (6)
Right Side Defence: magnificent (11)
Central Defence: outstanding (10)
Left Side Defence: formidable (9)
Right Side Attack: magnificent (11)
Central Attack: excellent (8)
Left Side Attack: excellent (8)
DataKing/Nevstar Index: 69/75

Houston Hippopotami
Midfield: inadequate (5)
Right Side Defence: solid (7)
Central Defence: solid (7)
Left Side Defence: excellent (8)
Right Side Attack: outstanding (10)
Central Attack: formidable (9)
Left Side Attack: excellent (8)
DataKing/Nevstar Index: 59/64

Notes: I can't remember the last time I had an inadequate midfield. I suppose, one could make the point that if I hadn't PIC'd I might have even won this game- but I didn't expect his ratings to be nearly this low. Gotta love that attack on my side, tho: out-form-exc

Player Ratings
GK Tim Kimber ***~
DW Lorenzo Cristiano ***
DM Clement Schrader **~
DW Elmer Bush ***
WI Mick Starks (o) ***~
MI Carlos Alberto Benito (o) ****
MI Stephen Connors (x) ***~
MI Thomas Little (o) ***~
WI Pierre Wellens ***
FO Gualtiero Spagnuolo ***~
FO Edwin Phelan **

Total Stars: 36.0
Total player experience: poor
Team Attitude: Play It Cool

Notes: A lot of people were playing a little worse than normal after the stamina update. Phelan is still in a slump and only got ** in the game. But, there's ample good news: UberTrainees(TM) Pierre Wellens and Thomas Little were both awesome with a *** and ***~ respectively. The future looks very bright for the Hippos. An 18yo ***~ from little- are you kidding me?!?

The Postgame Show

Game Summary
Well, I said it was going to hurt... And it did. At least we got a goal so it wasn't a shutout. In fact, we were tied 1-1 20 minutes in. That didn't last, tho. They racked up all those goals despite only getting possession of 54 and 56. Gualtiero had the only goal for the Hippos. Anders Jansson scored 4 against us.

Three Stars
I haven't been giving Starks enough love lately

Bronze: Mick Starks
He's out of his slump and back up to ***~ on offensive wing
Silver: Thomas Little
An 18yo with ***~ on the midfield
Gold: Gualtiero Spaguolo
His goal briefly tied the game and gave the illusion that we might hang close

Press Release
10/23/2003 at 23:20 Houston Crushed at Creamy Nougat Center
Houston, in an essentially meaningless game, PIC'd on the road and was destroyed by Chock Full of Wholesome Goodness. Anders Jansson scored 4 goals and the Hippos only scored 1 (Gualtiero Spagnuolo) as Houston was downed 7-1. A win in next week's game against The Champion locks up 4th place for the Hippos in their first season in Div IV.

Around the League
One suprisingly close game and two boring ones

Iowa Enforcers - zfan 5 - 0
Iowa got the walkover this week. Next week, they have a pretty easy game against Team Groomers. They have the edge on me in goal differential: -4 to 0 so I have to win next week because a draw won't do it.

Brooklyn United - Team Groomers 8 - 0
Following the two draws to Iowa and Houston and the close 2-1 win against Chock, Brooklyn has won their last three games by a combined score of 19-1. Next week, things will not be so easy against Kaishaku at home. Stephen Rumbold just missed a hat trick while Joaquin Otegi and Brian Mccloud had 2 goals, as well. The NSI difference in this game: 109-52. BTW, Brooklyn has taken the top spot in Div IV once again the past couple of weeks.

The Champion - Kaishaku F.C. 2 - 3
Kaishaku beat a very game Champion team who was up 2-0 at the 35 minute point. However, KFC scored in the 37th, 56th, and 65th minutes for the come from behind win. Kaishaku won the ratings battle 73 to 64 and stars 38.5 to 31.5.

League Standings
Code:
N Team Goals Pts NSI 1. Brooklyn United 55 - 7 35 109 2. Kaishaku F.C. 39 - 13 33 73 3. Chock Full of Whole 44 - 24 25 77 4. Houston Hippopotami 31 - 35 19 64 5. Iowa Enforcers 26 - 26 17 9 6. The Champion 23 - 28 12 64 7. zfan 11 - 57 6 9 8. Team Groomers 15 - 56 4 52

Kaishaku goes to Brooklyn next week in the battle for the shot at promotion. I'm pulling for Brooklyn just to have him out of here. Chock is locked into 3rd and The Champion is locked into 6th. It's unlikely Team Groomers will beat Iowa next week so 7-8 will stay the same. Our game against The Champion will determine that final team that finishes in the money: If we win, we get 4th. If we lose or draw, Iowa takes 4th and we're staring at a qualification game.

Hatstats
Nope, still no stats- but since I'm almost caught up, we'll have some soon- I hope.

In Closing
FYI- this was the worst loss in Hippos history, eclipsing our 5 goal differential in the 5-0 loss to Kaishaku earlier this year. But you know what? I really don't care- this was all about getting ready for next week. The Champion comes to the 'drome for Fan Appreciation Day. We need a full crowd to help inspire the team to a victory and 4th place!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote