View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012, 06:25 AM   #167
QuikSand
lolzcat

And while we're here, I have another product to pimp for those interested:

Products - Field Roast

If you're interested in "meat substitutes" along the way toward pursuing this diet or something like it, this is the brand that tops the list in taste (subjective, but my view is strong here) and in health (arguably).

Their products are grain-based, rather than soy-based -- meaning in particular you get rid of the highly processed "soy protein isolate" that's one of the all-purpose food ingredients in the processed vegetarian offerings. On balance that's for the better, by most accounts. Since this is a grain-based product, it has a good deal of gluten in it -- so for some who have sensitivity there, perhaps not a good fit.

However, the taste is really good. The chorizo is spicy (too much so for some, but I like it), the Italian sausage is very satisfying, and I get a lot of mileage out of the apple sage sausage in particular (I cut up fresh apples, add the sausage, and sizzle it up with a load of sauerkraut). The frankfurters are the closest to the real thing I have had. I have yet to try their lunchmeats, but their reputation for good taste is a pretty strong endorsement from many who follow these diets.

Worth a look - for sale at Whole Foods and many natural food stores.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote