View Single Post
Old 02-05-2012, 11:05 AM   #2614
PilotMan
Head Coach

It shouldn't be any surprise that a strategist like Jackson had a stellar gameplan in place for the main event. Condit did a great job being faster, setting the tone with leg kicks and moving very well. It was great seeing Diaz being the one frustrated. I don't think that there should be any controversy. The numbers speak for themselves. Condit was more accurate and landed more and more power shots. Even though he wasn't the aggressor being the aggressor doesn't win fights.

I loves me some Big Country and his loss was expected, but I was more impressed with Werdum's Muay Thai skills. His standup looked good, and although he didn't really hurt Roy (nobody can put him away) he really did a whole shitload of damage. It's a good fight to put Werdum into the mix.

Ugh, the rest of the fights didn't do a whole lot to set themselves apart. Barao has a great skill set, and Jorgensen is a tough dude. While the fight was entertaining neither fighter is all that intriguing.

Koscheck's fight was just boring. Pierce was just not good enough, but Koscheck just isn't good enough to be a top contender either.

Dustin Porier should have been on the main card. He did a great job with a beautiful submission. His ground game is smooth. I had never seen a fight finished with an armbar in the mounted triangle position.

If anyone got to see the first fight with Stephen Thompson you got to see a great lead leg roundhouse. I had never heard of this guy, but I guess he is undefeated in MMA, Kickboxing and Karate matches. Makes an interesting story to say the least. His standup is going to need tweaking with more in and out like Machida or he is going to end up getting taken down and tapped out too fast. He pretty must stood still for much of the fight. A grappler would really give him a test.

So that was it. Like I said last week, we continue to see a progression in MMA toward more decisions, where strategy continues to separate fighters but where casual fans have trouble getting into the fights.Fighter skill sets continue to merge even closer, and the fights become more tightly contested, and not necessarily in a way that is conductive toward exciting fights.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote