View Single Post
Old 01-29-2012, 07:57 AM   #2605
PilotMan
Head Coach

What was exactly disappointing about the 3 main fights? I didn't see any of the undercard, so I can't speak to that.

Stylistically, you had 5 of the 6 fighters were grapplers. Guys who are very difficult to take off their feet, submit, and generally provide the base that makes them top contenders.

You had 2 fights that had title implications that easily could have been the co-main even at any PPV for free.

All three fights were very close, with the exception of the main event, where Rashad won every round, but it was close.

Was it because there weren't any big knockouts, or blood, or guys in major submission chances? I could see that, but to me you don't need that to make a good fight.

Weidman/Maia was very close on the feet, and Weidman showed great takedowns and solid top control over a guy who is supremely dangerous on the ground. Standing he controlled a lot of the action from the center of the cage. Both guys were completely gassed by the end of the second round but they both came out and put on a really good fight in the 3rd.

Sonnen/Bisping didn't have enough lead up to be the fight that it could have been. It easily could have been the main event on any other non-PPV card, and it would have been a big draw. There just wasn't enough sell time. Bisping did a great job in the first two rounds of pressing Sonnen. He wasn't afraid of getting knocked out, and nailed Sonnen with some solid shots. Sonnen did enough in the first round with his takedowns and even though he lost the second round, he came back and dominated the third to take the fight. It could have gone either way up until then.

Phil Davis is a stud of a wrestler, but he hasn't developed his standup to be a real threat at the upper levels of the UFC. Like Lesnar, if he would have fought 8 or 9 years ago, he would have become a legend of the sport. He will be at this level for a long time, but he still needs work. Rashad looked really good. He didn't move around as much as I thought he would but he was crazy fast. He flat out stuffed Davis when he shot, and he shot fast. His boxing was clearly superior, and no surprise when it won him the fight.

We saw a lot of very evenly matched guys with very little separating them, fighting at the upper levels of MMA. Over the last couple of years, MMA has become much more even, and guys are learning what not to do to lose, and what they must to to win. Guys like Greg Jackson and others have really brought a strategy that has spread. It's become much more technical and the margins have dropped between fighters.

The time has passed for a lot of the big names like Lesnar, Rampage, Wanderlei, Penn and Mir and it's now time for guys who are very young and much more complete stars to rise up. We have already seen it with Jones, but Gustafsson is right behind him. We see it with Cain, who I think will beat JDS in a rematch. To a lesser extent a guy like Condit, who was the WEC champion and a very young age. He is dangerous everywhere, and even though he isn't that young anymore, he was ahead of the game. GSP was probably the genesis for most fighters like this. His style and strategy have made him a superstar. Each weight class will soon be bristling with guys like that, and if they can't, they won't be there.

It's going to continue to change the sport. There will be a lot less finishes, and a lot of very close fights. It is going to be hard for any fighter to be as dominant as we have seen with Silva and GSP. It may not be here yet, but it is the change that is coming.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote