View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012, 12:19 PM   #78
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I'm not that concerned about living forever either, although I would like to be around and highly functional for my kids as long as possible, since I didn't have them until my mid-30s. My main goal is to avoid the dragged out, lingering death due to cancer, a stroke, or things of that nature. I don't think anyone in this thread is trying to tell others what to eat. I think most of us on the eat less meat side are just mentioning what we are doing for ourselves. I can't make you wear a helmet or stop riding motorcycles. I can't stop you from smoking. I can't prevent you from eating nothing but meat and dairy all the time. I can and have done those things for myself. To each their own. As for me, I'm not giving up eating meat. Just cutting it way back so that it is an occasional treat instead of a staple food in my diet. Same thing goes for soda. Hopefully that works out well for me and my health improves. An ounce of prevention and all that. I just had a friend from high school die at the age of 40 from some undisclosed disease. It was a bit of an eye opener. I don't know that it was diet-related, but I suspect it was a factor for him.

I hear you man. I don't have kids, but, want at least one, so I would like to be around and mobile as they grow up. Soda is pretty big. It's so convenient to get and it's fairly cheap. I force myself to buy water or juice (usually apple or orange juice). There is no soda at all in my house. I eat mostly chicken and I'll get a prime rib on Fridays and every once in a while, I'll eat some porkchops. However, I always try and have a large portion of vegetables with whatever I'm eating.

I just think there's certain things we have no control over when we get hit by something like cancer. My grandpa (my dads dad) had bone cancer and prostate cancer. Skinny as a rail, ate pretty healthy, always was doing some kind of physical activity, but, cancer still came calling. However, he got the last laugh. He died about a week after breaking his neck from falling in the shower.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote