View Single Post
Old 08-29-2011, 01:21 PM   #477
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
There's a difference between eliminating FEMA and eliminating all emergency funding in the event of a major disaster. I seriously doubt Paul would object to allocating emergency funding directly to a state in the event of a major disaster.

I tend to think you're giving him too much credit here.

On the off-chance that you're right though, where would that hypothetical money come from? Does the state EMA just send a wish list to the President & he writes 'em a check?

Rational criticism of FEMA aside for a moment, at some practical level it seems to me that somebody has to handle the part where there's decisions to be made about what to provide the states ...
Quote:
"A state can decide. We don't need somebody in Washington."

If Washington is sending the check, at some point there's got to be somebody is Washington who can determine what's legit, what's overreaching by a state looking to grab what they can, etc. If that isn't FEMA, it still has to be someone under a different name, or else get out of the disaster-assistance business altogether.

My real guess is that the actual answer lies somewhere between babbling idiot & heartless robot, at Paul's frequent address of Batshit Crazy Lane.