View Single Post
Old 10-02-2003, 11:05 PM   #1732
klayman
College Benchwarmer

I don't share your optimism. Extending the deal just prolongs the suffering. I think the only reason the salaries were controlled was under the threat of uncertainty in the labour agreement, and that was by both the players and the owners. Take that away and salaries continue to rise. Then maybe you get some bonehead new owner come in (like a Russian in Vancouver?) and start throwing money around paying 8 million a year for a 3rd line center, suddenly every 3rd line center in the league starts thinking they should be paid 8 million a year, and we're right back to Bankrupt City, Population: 1/2 the NHL.

I also don't think just a cap will solve all the problems, and Bettman saying that "the hockey business, from revenue and attendance and exposure standpoints, from a licensing and sponsorship standpoint, has probably never been stronger" is such crap. Maybe 5 years ago that was true. That certainly isn't true today. We had two teams almost close up shop during last season for crying out loud, who is he trying to kid? He's too busy spinning PR then working on fixing the problems with the league. A cap might make the small market teams more competitive (read as league parity), but it certainly won't magically increase revenue by $300 million the league is reportedly losing a season (even though from an attendance standpoint, the NHL has never been stronger).

But who am I to throw stones. I'll gladly pay $50 a night to watch 40 men give half an effort for 80% of the season, even though I get more enjoyment out of watching my kid brother play rep hockey in Sherwood Park, and after the labour lockout, I'll still come back drooling for more (and probably pay more for it as well). It's sad, really.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote