View Single Post
Old 10-12-2010, 08:02 AM   #600
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Nike+ GPS tells me I burned 254 calories. My heart rate monitor says I burned 737 calories. Nike+ has got to using a formula based on time and distance, while the heart rate monitor is (obviously) using my heart rate to calculate it. Which one is more accurate? I'm more inclined to believe the HR monitor. I'm thinking Nike+ was made with the seasoned runner in mind, and if an in-shape experienced runner did the first week of C25K, he probably would only burn around 250 calories. My out of shape fat ass? Probably closer to 737 than 254.

The Nike GPS is probably closer. 3.6 MPH is barely above walking speed. According to this: hxxp://www.nutristrategy.com/caloriesburnedrunning.htm, running at 5 MPH is going to burn off 600-700 calories per hour, so that puts you roughly at 350 calories. Another website is hxxp://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc which shows that a 4 MPH walking pace burns off 269 calories in 30 minutes.

But I strongly suggest that you don't get caught up in burning calories as a number in relation to food, but only as a barometer of how hard you've worked. I doubt any machine is very accurate because calories burned does depend on so many factors. So I figure every machine is wrong. For example, I can get on one elliptical and go for 45 minutes and it'll tell me I've burned off 900 calories. I can do the same exact workout (Cardio Coach pimp opportunity again!) on my home elliptical and it'll say I've burned off 400. What's the truth? I have no idea.

So I use that home elliptical to gauge progress when I'm working out at home. For example, I did exactly 40 minutes on the elliptical today. It said I burned off 342 calories. Considering that 3 months ago I'd burn off only 295 on the same workout, that means I'm working 15% harder than I did on the same exact program. That's progress.

Same message goes for DodgerChick. She's probably not burning off 700 calories during Zumba class. That's ok though. If you know you've worked - if you know your perceived effort was high - then you did what you needed to do.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote