View Single Post
Old 10-07-2010, 02:01 PM   #561
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post

4. Set smaller goals, no more than 30 days out. I didn't want to look too far ahead, because I knew (know) it's a long, hard road. I needed to not get ahead of myself. So I celebrated every 30 days of working out. Only two months ago did I start one of those 90 day programs because I built up the workout habit. It's too hard to try to lose 30, 50 or 100 pounds, but you can focus on losing 5 pounds this month. It's so much easier mentally.

I did it even a shorter period than that. I split up my time in 2 week chunks. I basically said that I wanted to lose 2 pounds every 2 weeks. At first it was easy, just cutting out the various bad habits caused me to lose alot of weight at the beginning. When it became hard was when I plateaued out after the initial weight loss.

I dropped from 263 to 235 in no time at all. With better diet and exercise it went really fast. Getting from 235 to 230 seemed a huge chore for me, and my entire way through the 220s felt like agony.

I just kept chugging along though, aiming for 2 pounds every 2 weeks (pretty close to your 5 pounds a month), and it slowly trickled off. For some weird reason, I actually found losing weight in my 210-220 range far easier. Not sure why that was though. It's slowed down a little bit now though. I sometimes feel I'm getting complacent and don't really feel as pressing of a need. I just need to keep chugging away though.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote