View Single Post
Old 05-25-2010, 02:43 PM   #9
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Sports is following the larger issues in entertainment, particularly movies, in that staying home is a much cheaper and better experience than going to the live event. We have HD, instant replay, surround sound, etc. There's no need to go to the event - not only is it costly in money and time, but it's generally a pain in the ass. There's not weather to deal with, no traffic, no vomiting/profane fans, etc.

This is why the Dolphins have decided that their primary stadium-filler is not the product on the field, but the stars in the owners box and that they allow to roam the sidelines - getting people to come to games to see what's going on off the field. And similarly, it's why Jerry Jones built an amusement park for his team to play in. That's the future of live sports. Why should they give that away if people (corporations or individuals) are willing to pay? I guess it might make sense to adopt a minor league view of making money for bad teams - make it as cheap as possible to come in, so they spend money while they are there - but otherwise, what's the incentive that go away from supply and demand, when attendance has continued to go up decade after decade (while prices go up)?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote