View Single Post
Old 05-25-2010, 07:05 AM   #6
Tasan
College Starter

My wife is on the same kick as far as those two series goes, its where she started her current reading spree. As far as she goes, she reads them because they are fun, enjoyable, and clean.

She's read the Septimus Heap series, which are similar to the Harry Potter series, except not set in modern times. Then there are the Percy Jackson series, which are also similar to Harry Potter, but with gods instead of magic. Also in the same vein are the City of Ember books. I got into these, they are quite good. Very different from the others I listed, but good.

She's also read the Spiderwick Chronicles and the Hunger Games series mentioned by others here.

All of the above books are considered Young Adult, but the writing is not bad at all and can stimulate the mind. The best thing is that they are quick reads, so the entire series of say City of Ember won't take you long to get through and might feel like just reading one "adult" classified book.

Oh and I get all this YA literature in the house because my sister is a YA librarian. She has to read this stuff to stay current, and recommends the good stuff to us. I normally read adult Sci-Fi, military fiction and historical non-fiction, but I'll read these books when they are interesting. Of the ones listed in this thread, I've read the Harry Potter and City of Ember series and enjoyed both (except for the 3rd CoE book). My wife enjoyed all the ones I've listed. Outside of the Twilight series, I trust her judgement ;- )