View Single Post
Old 05-24-2010, 06:41 PM   #23
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I'm sorry to hear this, Lorena. Those dosage amounts sound awfully high IMO.

As a bipolar myself who has stopped his medication numerous times (in fact it's been a year, year and a half maybe since I've taken it), I can say that getting us to stay on our medications is one of the biggest battles, both for us and those who care about us.

Speaking in generalities and not about any specific person, 500 mg of Depakote is not a large dosage. In fact, it is the starting dosage for most adults. A typical daily dosage for a person who has classic Bipolar (or even someone who has organic damage that is mimicking Bipolar) is 1000-2000 mg depending upon their body mass, etc. However, if they are elderly and/or have decreased Liver functions they may need a smaller dosage. Similarly, 300 mg of Seroquel is not a large dosage for someone who is really manic and/or psychotic. A typical target dosage of Seroquel is often 600-800 mg unless a person has impaired clearance.

Edit to clarify: I'm talking about total dosage per day in the above numbers. Depakote is often giving divided 2-4 times/day (500 mg, 3 times per day is not uncommon for an adult) while Seroquel is often given twice a day.

I agree with your 2nd point completely. Compliance with medications is the biggest issue for most people with Bipolar and many patients end up being hospitalized 4-5 times before their compliance increases.

Anyway, I'll be keeping your family in my prayers, DC.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 05-24-2010 at 06:48 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote