View Single Post
Old 05-24-2010, 05:07 AM   #4
RainMaker
General Manager

I guess the most important thing to remember is that this isn't him. It's his illness. My Grandpa was a laid-back guy who was soft spoken and polite. He turned into another person during an episode. I remember one incident where he tried to start a fire in the basement and then proceeded to assault a police officer when he came over. If I had told a friend of his who didn't know he was bipolar, they would have laughed me out of the room.

I would definitely get on that list and work with the doctors. I would find out if they are giving him Seroquel as well (it sounds like it based on the slurred speech and the fact his body lost its tolerance for it when he got off his medication). That drug can be dangerous for older patients. There are other alternatives like Risperdal and Zyprexa which he may find better and willing to take regularly.

Part of the battle with mental illness is finding a drug that the person is willing to take. When he gets better, you have to make it very clear to him that he needs to keep taking his medication if he wants to maintain a relationship with his family.

Last edited by RainMaker : 05-24-2010 at 05:09 AM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote