View Single Post
Old 05-21-2010, 05:23 PM   #20
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister View Post
We shall see. I am doubting that yearbooks will be obsolete on the high school level because I still think hard copies of images compiled in a yearbook still has some relevance. But I don't truly know that since I have no children at that age.

Networking websites rendering yearbooks obsolete - The Boston Globe

Kids don't want them. I'm sure they're great for parents though and that's what will keep them alive, but as far as student interest there's no real point. Kids take their own pictures, have their own Facebook pages and cover their own events so they have a tapestry of what happened from elementary school to middle school to high school and so on. And that's not just from my research, that's from actually working at a K-12 school this year.

This article is instructive, as you have the old people happy with how it's always been and the younger ones just going through the motions and implementing their new tactics to keep the old dinosaur medium relevant.

Their business model is only better than newspapers because it's highly subsidized by parents and school districts, but they won't last another generation unless the business model changes.