View Single Post
Old 05-19-2010, 02:08 PM   #57
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
I've always had black friends. I am not black. I can remember even in Kindergarten and 1st grade, having black friends. My best friend, since I was 13 (I'm now 38), is black. I think a lot has to do with your environment and your parents. My parents never made an issue of someones color or made it a point to relate bad/good with someones color. I also grew up in southern California where race really isn't something that is much of an issue like it is in the south and other parts of the country.

Half of my family is mexican. So, there was never an issue with that either. Heck, I even had asian relatives and friends. Ever since I can remember, the people I shied away from were people who had over bearing personalities or were assholes and those people covered the whole spectrum of skin colors.

So, I don't know. That's my anecdotal experiences with this subject.

To me you, like myself actually, help show it is about personal experiences (parental influence being part of that, but one on one interaction much more so at younger ages). At 6-8 years old two of my best friends were Mexican. I obviously had good experiences with them. The asshole kids were always the white kids when I was younger. Maybe subconsciously that's why I moved to a place where it's mostly Mexicans as an adult.