View Single Post
Old 05-19-2010, 01:02 PM   #7
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I'm concerned though if your main motivation is the hours and time away from your family then I am not sure opening a new business will help with that. It is my understanding that most small business owners, especially when they first start end up having to put in crazy hours just to save money on the bottom line from having to hire others. So I am unsure exactly how much time you might be saving from this new career path..

I appreciate that feedback. And you are right, my expectation is fully to work the crazy hours to start with. If we decided to go this route, one very real option for us would be to move down to the shore and live there year round. So there would be some potential benefits to that. I would still see my family every day. Depending on the business and it's success - some stores open up for May - September peak season. I could then do part-time work the rest of the year. When kids get a little older, they could work for me. But to be clear, my main motivation is to get out of the cubicle farm, out from behind a desk, and do something different.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote