View Single Post
Old 05-19-2010, 10:56 AM   #40
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I agree, TV is probably not much of a factor early-on. My kids didn't watch much live action until recently, and outside of shows like iCarly (white) and MythBusters, still don't. "Bad guys" in shows are folks like Plankton, Endive (from Chowder), Bling-Bling Boy, Mr. Crocker, Vlad Masters...cartoons that are white or not even human.

For the longest time we tried not to even bring up skin color with our kids - they go to a school that while still majority white, is fairly diverse (lots of military). Just treat kids as kids. They have friends and classmates who are black, white, Latino, Asian. Whatever.

A couple of years ago my son came home crying, saying he never wanted to ride the bus again. Kids were being mean, calling him names, pushing him, hitting him. "What kids were doing this?" His answer? The dark kids. These shouldn't be kids from a bad area or anything either; there are enough kids in just our small section of our development to fill the whole bus.

Nothing trumps life experiences, especially not at that age. With my son, he wasn't really fond of, well, fat white kids since every bully or asshole he encountered in the pre-K/K years pretty much fit that description. All three black children he spent any notable time around were all fine & dandy as far as he was concerned. Compare & contrast with my slightly younger nephew (coincidentally a fat white kid himself) who had relatively few encounters with black kids at that age group but had exclusively negative experiences with them. At this point, he makes me sound like a cross between Harriet Beecher Stowe & Malcom X.