View Single Post
Old 05-19-2010, 10:19 AM   #39
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
TV and the "good-guy vs. bad-guy" dark-light stuff have influences here, but they're minor. Five-year-olds are far more concrete than that. The much bigger influence is "Jimmy Black was mean to me today, but Jimmy White gets gold stars on all of his papers." But hey, feel free to pretend.

I agree, TV is probably not much of a factor early-on. My kids didn't watch much live action until recently, and outside of shows like iCarly (white) and MythBusters, still don't. "Bad guys" in shows are folks like Plankton, Endive (from Chowder), Bling-Bling Boy, Mr. Crocker, Vlad Masters...cartoons that are white or not even human.

For the longest time we tried not to even bring up skin color with our kids - they go to a school that while still majority white, is fairly diverse (lots of military). Just treat kids as kids. They have friends and classmates who are black, white, Latino, Asian. Whatever.

A couple of years ago my son came home crying, saying he never wanted to ride the bus again. Kids were being mean, calling him names, pushing him, hitting him. "What kids were doing this?" His answer? The dark kids. These shouldn't be kids from a bad area or anything either; there are enough kids in just our small section of our development to fill the whole bus.