View Single Post
Old 05-19-2010, 09:42 AM   #5
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I'm honestly somewhat surprised that you're concerned about extra experience compensation in a market such as what we have right now. We're hiring veteran IT workers right now for $10,000-20,000 less than their market value because it's an employer's job market. We know that we're offering less than normal market, but the veteran IT worker needs a job and is willing to take the lower salary with benefits. They know that if they say 'No', we've got several people waiting in the wings behind them to snatch that position.

If you feel like this is the only person that can fill your needs and they're pushing on salary, that's fine. Otherwise, move on and pick up a resource that will take the salary you feel you can afford.

That's a great attitude.
Builds no employee loyalty, and those people will remember when the market returns and their first offer comes along.

My compensation philosophy is pay what it takes to retain your best people, hell I pay what it takes to make sure they never go looking....the bottom half, I intentionally under pay, and let it be known what the top half makes..they either improve or move on either way its a win.

That said
- Dont pay more than perm person, in fact dont make it too close for comfort
- From there just have a real conversation. "We like what you can offer, what will it take to make our part of our team. Naturally Id offer a "little" less than that number but it gets you in the range
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote