View Single Post
Old 05-12-2010, 10:23 PM   #271
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Pretending that anybody gives half a shit for a minute, I'll tell my story of the 2001 Stanley Cup Finals.

I was on vacation with my wife and two of our friends (both of them guys, so don't get excited) during those Finals. We went to Fort Walton Beach, Florida, and the three of them wanted me to walk on the beach with them while game 7 was on. Well, of course I told them that they were out of their trees. I was hoping to see the Devils repeat as champions.

They ended up going without me, but they came back before the game was over. I was still perched in front of the TV in the hotel room, right where they'd left me. The Devils fought hard, but they lost the game and the series. I was devastated. I'd never seen the Devils lose in the Finals before. My wife tried to comfort me. Our friends were indifferent, as they're not sports fans. I was actually starting to feel mad about having sat in that damn hotel room instead of going out on the beach during my vacation. All it took was one moment to change my mood.

As soon as Joe Sakic handed the Cup to Ray Bourque, I was happy. Honestly, that is probably the most enjoyable moment of NHL history that I have ever seen. If Bourque hadn't been on that Colorado team or, hell, even if Sakic had skated around with the Cup himself before handing it to Bourque, I'd probably still be angry about that night nine years ago. Instead, it was just perfect, and I really don't think any hockey moment I see for the rest of my life can top it.

Colin White and Scott Gomez can go get hit by low-flying planes for all I care, though.