View Single Post
Old 05-07-2010, 05:01 PM   #19
Terps
College Prospect

I think it's definitely just practice, practice, practice.

I never played pool in my life until I started working at a pool hall when I was 18 for about 4-5 years. I worked 12 hour shifts and most of it was spent playing pool.

I'm a 9 ball player, and quickly became very very good, regularly winning or placing in 9 ball tournaments, and was a top 5 player in the area 'circuit' that was set up with regional pool halls. Usually a best of 5 or 7 was played and I could break and run 2-3 of those a set, and usually break the 9 ball in at least once every other set. (I have an absolute HAMMER for a break, regularly striking the head ball in the rack and popping it up toward the light above the table, pocketing 2-3 balls. That's still stayed with me.)

Now, I play rarely if ever, and sold off all my cues. I have no problem running out a game of 8 or 9 ball on a bar table, but on a regulation table, maybe once or twice per 10 games. I still have the know how and what english to use when, etc. But I can't pocket balls like I used to.

I'm sure if I got back into it like I used to be it would come back to me, as the knowledge is still there, but I'd need to practice a lot to get my stroke back.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote