View Single Post
Old 05-07-2010, 09:09 AM   #8
MCK
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Is it a physical thing? Can be for tenpin bowlers. Pro bowlers put in a lot of time and games each week to perform the way they do.

Is it mental? YES!! There a lot of things to think of when bowling. Oil patterns, ball speed, ball weight, all can affect the outcome after delivering a ball.

Is it hours spent working on the sport? As in any sport, if you have the money and time to bowl 50 games a week, you could get to that level.

And that the difference between the world-class bowler and the league bowler isn't a difference of inherent ability, but one of dedication? Dedication.

I am a duckpin bowler. I've been bowling since I was 4 and both my daughters started when they were 3.

It's harder to score in duckpins. It requires a lot of skill to make spares and sometime some luck to make strikes. The very best duckpin bowlers only average about 2.4 strikes per game.

To me it's all about the confidence in my skills to get the job done. If you don't believe in what your doing before you start bowling, you not going to succeed at a high level.

Last month Danny Wiseman (pro tenpin bowler from Maryland), bowled on one of our duckpin stops. He practiced for 2 weeks straight to get ready for the tournament. He missed the cut but his performance was not that bad. Now if I was to try and bowl a tenpin Pro stop like the one down here last month, I would have no chance. No way could I bowl 40 games in a week, or could I even understand the different oil patterns, ball reaction, lane conditions.

Tenpin bowlers also deal with more injuries so they need to try and stay in somewhat shape. Nagging wrist, arm, elbow, back injuries are always happening.

Last edited by MCK : 05-07-2010 at 10:01 AM.
MCK is offline   Reply With Quote