View Single Post
Old 05-06-2010, 03:46 PM   #46
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
I'm troubled by this, because I'm watching my son grow up. He's in a school with less than 50% white students. And if he notices, he hasn't said anything. I'd like him to remain innocent of all the racial b.s. in society as long as possible. Maybe that's naive on my part, but kids don't seem to be naturally racist - parents have to interject the b.s. part themselves.

I would think every student in the school would learn from meeting a scientist. It might make the African-American kids a little more proud, give them a specific role model. It would also be an important lesson for the non-African-American kids in case they have parents who add to the b.s.. And it's pretty cool for kids of any race to meet a rocket scientist of any race. Ann Arbor's a great place to grow up. With a world-class university, we bring in top talent from every culture. If there's a place where segregation is unwelcome, it's here.

I wish more people were as "naive" as you and we wouldn't even be having this discussion. 100% spot on!
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote