Thread: RIP Will Owsley
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2010, 10:57 PM   #1
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

RIP Will Owsley

Probably unknown to most everybody, but Will Owsley was a fantastic power pop songwriter based out of Nashville who never made it big and ended up - as far as I can tell - recording, producing, and playing with Amy Grant, Chris Sligh (from AI), Shania Twain, and a bunch of Disney acts like Demi Lovato and Jonas Bros. According to a stream of twitter reports, he committed suicide today.

His original band from the early 90s, The Semantics, briefly featured Ben Folds and Ringo's son, as well as the equally brilliant Millard Powers. They recorded an album that never got released in the US, and then when Owsley went solo, he got screwed again by record company issues when his label went under. He released another album in the mid-2000s, before kinda dropping off the face of the earth and getting into writing and producing for others. Not sure what his issues were, but his 1999 solo solo album was one of about a half-dozen albums released right around that time that turned me into a huge power pop fan.

There's not much of his on YT, but here's a Semantics song.

http://

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote