View Single Post
Old 04-30-2010, 03:55 PM   #55
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
So we should dumb down the curriculum so that we can aid the parents that are dumming down their kids? (I'm only half reading this thread, so JIMGA may not be on that side of the fence, but reading JIMGA and Greg's posts made me realize that's ultimately what is happening)

The public schools have been dumbing down the kids for a while. I feel very strongly that we can make more effective use of the time the kids are already in school, not that we have to extend the day a single notch.

The "4.5 hours per day kids watch TV" has ZERO to do with the kind of schooling they receive at the school itself and is a stupid stat to pull out here. Sure the parents may be dimwits that do this, but to say we could eat into that time to do more teaching is absurd. We've already lengthened the school year, put mandatory minimum days kids go to school, and test scores still fall and the schools still pass kids that are WAY below grade level, so none of it is helping.

Teach algebra sooner, not tack it on as an extra class hour during the school day.