View Single Post
Old 04-30-2010, 03:09 PM   #53
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Oh please. My kids get up at 6:30 AM, we all get dressed, get breakfast, and get out the door, we pick them up from school between 5:30 and 6:00, get home, eat dinner, get them baths, and get them to bed. If they are lucky they have 15 minutes in the morning to do what they want, and maybe an hour in the evening that is sometmes play (we all went for a family bike ride last night), sometimes TV, sometimes computer.

They may do too much watching on the weekends (although we've got a system set up that has it under control), but it is unlikely they have time for much more schoolwork.

Thank you, saved me most of the fucking trouble.

I'm already dealing with an average of 3 hours of homework+studying per night (with a 6th grader) as it is, not counting the 40-60 minute after school study sessions 3-4 days a week. And while his curriculum is well ahead of the state public schools in most disciplines (about 1-2 years best I can figure), it starts the basics of algebra in the 4th/5th grade already, and pretty much every public school (yes, even in Georgia) seems to be starting for capable students by at least the 7th as I can tell.

Meanwhile, you can lengthen school day, you can move algebra to pre-k, but that isn't going to change the amount of TV the average kid watches. All that is going to change for the overwhelmingly majority of kids is the content of the homework they aren't doing & provide parents with a couple of more hours of government funded daycare.