View Single Post
Old 04-30-2010, 10:44 AM   #366
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I have nothing against Notre Dame, but I agree that it benefits from a lot of enabling. If the Big 10 refused to play it in football for as long as it is independent, and if the Big East refused to let it be a "anything but football" member, then it is hard to see how it could stay independent in football.

Why? I mean, you say that as though ND would have a hard time replacing Purdue/Michigan/Michigan St/Pitt with other teams. The only one of those that might be a challenge to replace with equal stature would be Michigan & even then there are quite a few options.

Just glancing at ND's opponents over the last 30 years (I had to pick a time frame), the most often played non-B10/BE teams not on their 2010 schedule are Air Force, Miami, LSU, Georgia Tech, and Tennessee. That's not exactly a chopped liver group and ND is going to sell tickets pretty much no matter who/where they play. Would it be a shame to see some very traditional games lost? Sure. Would it have some sort of crippling effect on ND? Not a fucking chance.