View Single Post
Old 04-30-2010, 09:49 AM   #358
sooner333
College Starter

The Big 10 makes sense for those schools, at least in a academic and regional way. They don't like the way the Big 8 schools have been treated in the conference (which has likely been in large part due to Nebraska's fall from the top). Missouri makes more sense to me than Nebraska does as far as the Big 10's perspective, but if you want 16, you're probably going to have to expand a little further then you want to.

I think if the Big 12 lost Mizzou and Nebraska, they would be able to reload. They would take in TCU. And maybe they could take in a school like Utah or Houston. It would lower the conference prestige some, but TCU and Utah have been similar to Mizzou and Nebraska in recent years in football. The revenue would be the part that hurts.

If Colorado goes too, the Big 12 starts seeing problems. Not because Colorado is a crown jewel in the conference, but because you start wondering who you are going to get to replace. Utah might not jump if Colorado's not there. If the goal is to get to at least twelve, then the Big 12 is starting to run out of options, at least in-region. You see a situation where the SEC could try to get to 16. Although I don't see the SEC needing to expand because they don't have their own network like the Big 10 (sure, they have a syndicated network, but that's pretty much national anyway, and certainly in the region they would expand to). The Pac 10 would already have Colorado, and could shoot for Texas, but I don't see this as likely as other people do. Texas A&M is going wherever Texas goes, and the question is whether they fit in with what the Pac 10 wants.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote