View Single Post
Old 04-29-2010, 03:41 PM   #44
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Actually, the seminal court case Tinker v. Des Moines says that students do NOT shed their constitutional rights at the school house doors. Administrators are given some more leeway in restricting speech for certain reasons, but it has to serve a purpose and cannot be arbitrary.

Well, most Constitutional rights don't have much of a bearing on school grounds anyway. The biggies where kids are concerned are search and seizure (administrators have leeway there; maybe not to the extent of strip-searching a kid over aspirin, but having drug dogs sniff the lockers? Yup), free speech (administrators can restrict that), freedom of religion, cruel and unusual punishment.

Restrictions on the right to keep and bear arms vary, seems like. Some schools in California have metal detectors set up to try and keep firearms off the grounds, while a friend of mine who went to high school in North Dakota tells me that during hunting season, the kids would bring their rifles and such and have the principal lock them up in a gun cabinet.

The Fourteenth Amendment is the one that's probably going to be getting litigated up and down in schools over the next few years.

I don't think too many of the others touch on school life at all.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote