View Single Post
Old 04-29-2010, 01:08 PM   #42
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
Hey, annually for me at least. But it is more satisfying to know how to figure out how long the third leg of a triangle is than to be ignorant of simple facts.

{shrug} I guess I can't really speak to the satisfaction of it since, off hand, I can't say that I've ever needed to figure that out, at least not since HS.

Hindsight being what it is, I can definitely say there were a boatload of things my time would have been better spent learning with the same hours I spent on HS geometry (the aforementioned stats/probability class, which my HS didn't even offer, among them).

While I'm posting anyway, just on the basic theme at hand, I probably ought to say that I'm not a big fan of "offering material just for the sake of offering it" at the expense of teaching skills that can actually be applied in the workplace. I believe we ought to do a better job of assessing students & the likelihood that they will have some practical application for a given niche of a subject, and I agree with those who have cited the notion of (for example) secretaries needing 4 yrs of college as being a part of the current problem.