View Single Post
Old 04-29-2010, 01:07 PM   #90
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Hey, not to interrupt the fascinating discussion of fictional college roommates who work for high tech companies, but I have a football question.

I read somewhere that the Raiders are somewhat lucky to be cutting Russell this year since it's an uncapped season. Not sure how much cap hit is going to accelerate to this year, but it won't matter since without a cap it basically doesn't exist.

If that's true, then why aren't more teams cutting guys? It seems like a great opportunity to get out from under some bad contracts without destroying your short-term cap situation. Has there been more cutting and I just missed it? Or am I just thinking too FOF-ish for real life?

Good question. I wonder if two things are at play. First, b/c NFL contracts are not guaranteed, you don't really have the "can't cut this guy b/c of cap acceleration" for a lot of players. Really only top-ten rookies or big-bonus FA guys near the beginning of their contract. It may be that teams are not willing to give up on those guys and admit the mistake unless it is just painfully obvious (i.e. JaMarcus).

Also, I get the sense that a lot of teams expect the cap to come back and seem to be managing their rosters as if it will. You would think that they would not do that when it came to cutting a guy, but maybe it is just a general mindset that the teams have.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote