View Single Post
Old 04-28-2010, 06:32 PM   #20
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsDino View Post
No offense intended towards people with learning disabilities, I went with moron instead of a dumbfuck, please read it as whatever you find most insulting to the average person, but not insulting to people of the class I unintentionally insulted.

FWIW, since I have no idea whether this was clear or not, my comment wasn't meant as critical of your word choice, I added the old definition strictly to help illustrate the point I was trying to make.

Regardless of the terminology used, my point was that I believe you're probably giving credit for too high a percentage of the population being capable of gaining the benefits you described in your follow up post. (i.e. They can also manipulate these sets of assumptions to come up with new assumptions that are logically consistent with the set, etc ... Higher math teaches people to think at a level where rote-learning becomes less and less practical, etc

Oddly enough, I struggled mightily with even HS algebra (personality conflict with teacher mostly) but am actually one of those people who will say without hesitation that I've used it for most of my adult life, not the concepts in some basic way but actual algebra itself.