View Single Post
Old 04-26-2010, 12:59 PM   #25
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Alan, maybe you could shed some light on a problem i've been having with the local ISP. Oceanic Time Warner Cable is, at best, terrible. They have sent a technician to my house a half dozen times, and had someone "watch" my connection 24/7 to see if they can isolate the issue.

Like I mentioned before, my speeds vary pretty wildly. However 90% of the time they're at least at 6MB downstream or better which really is plenty for what I do. Here's the problem. A couple times a day, always around the same time, the speed dips down to about 1MB and stays that way for about 45 mins or so. Since I'm forced to watch baseball games on MLB.tv, it makes viewing impossible. It happens at the following times like clockwork.

7:45 - 8:30p, M-F
4:45 - 5:30p, Weekends

I think it happens at other points during the day too, but I can't be 100% sure and my usage during the day (at least for streaming multimedia) is non-existent. Oceanic told me that it doesn't make any sense that it would happen like that, because they supposedly "open everything up" in the afternoon/evenings so the usage wouldn't get bogged down. The fact that it happens at almost the exact same time, every single day, leads me to believe that it's something f'ed up on their end. They keep harping on the fact that I use a router, which only pisses me off because it's like them insulting my intelligence. I then asked the lead technician if they knew what was wrong, and told him in very plain english to tell me if didn't have any idea, and he said "you're right, I don't know what's wrong".

So...ideas?