View Single Post
Old 04-25-2010, 12:05 PM   #58
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

You're in over your head here Dutch. As I said, I did extensive concentrations in both U.S. Foreign Policy as well as Tsarist Russia and the Soviet Union. Crack all the silly little jokes you want, that's fine.

There were many causes to the end of the Cold War. "Reagan outspending the Soviets" was not one of them. If you want to make an argument that the general standard of living in the West forced the Soviet economy to struggle to keep pace and that was a contributing factor, that is true (by some measures, Soviet standard of living reached its height under Brezhnev in the 70's and began to lag quickly from there due to various factors). But that's not military spending, and it also was something that began in the 50's and carried all the way through U.S. administrations up until the end of the Cold War, not just Reagan.

I don't really think you want to get into a deep historical discussion with me over the causes of the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 04-25-2010 at 12:14 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote