View Single Post
Old 04-24-2010, 11:22 PM   #27
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Hey CrimsonFox,
I'm not sure if you have direct contact with anybody who has Type 1 Diabetes such as Bret Michaels, but "taking care of yourself" doesn't prevent you from getting severely low blood sugars, complications, etc. I have a 6 year old son with diabetes and quite often he'll have a low blood sugar and we'll have to stop everything we're doing and get him juice, and sometimes even struggle to keep him conscious until he drinks it. I'm glad that Bret allows these episodes to be aired on TV, it has been very therapeutic for my son who sees that other people also have high / low blood sugars and have to deal with them.
Mind you it may be easier to control if you have a routine that you follow but we've always been taught that he's a person first and a diabetic second so we don't let it control his life. Unfortunately the human body is never the same 2 days in a row so you're constantly juggling to keep his blood sugar levels in balance, it's just a fact of life for a diabetic.
I applaud Bret for living his dream and not letting a life long condition cause him to turtle up and hide! I wish him all the best during his recovery.

Last edited by Mota : 04-24-2010 at 11:23 PM.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote